OLD Technical Questions

New Seawych Messageboard
webmasterphbb1
Site Admin

OLD Technical Questions

Post by webmasterphbb1 »

Please scroll through these old questions and answers, this may resolve your query if not please post on Technical
webmasterphbb1
Site Admin

Mainsail Connection to Gooseneck

Post by webmasterphbb1 »

Mainsail connection to gooseneck
Post by martinhunt » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:55 pm

Does this look correct please?
I am struggling to raise the main sail any higher due to the angle of the sail bead going into the mast track. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Martin
ATTACHMENTS
C2A2333C-6531-4A9A-958B-B7B680359AAE.jpeg
C2A2333C-6531-4A9A-958B-B7B680359AAE.jpeg (72.8 KiB) Viewed 15 times
Vic
Re: Mainsail connection to gooseneck
Post by Vic » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:44 pm

Mine was like that.

I think the real trouble is that the mast was designed for a mains'l with slugs rather than a bolt rope

Earlier boats had a different design mast with a track more suitable for a bolt rope. I think he mains'l on later boats may have had slugs.

Fitting slugs may be an option but I wondered if it would bring the leech in contact with the backstay therefore I just rounded the corners of the sail entry . I tried a sail feeder mounted below the entry but that was not satisfactory.

If you round the corners fully you will have to drill a new hole a little higher for the split pin should you later decide to fit slugs after all.
Vic
Brave Dragon

Visit the Yatching and Boating World forums
martinhunt
Re: Mainsail connection to gooseneck
Post by martinhunt » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:10 pm

I have spent a little time today with my dremel and radiused the corners of the mast track entry slightly and this has definitely improved things. I may also try using an additional shackle between the sail and the fixing hole in the boom to allow the sail to sit closer to the mast thus making the angle a little less severe.
My final option may be to have the sail modified slightly to add an additional grommet about 2” along the bottom of the sail towards the clew to allow the sail to sit closer to the mast. If that helps, as I now have slab reefing I could also trim off the top of the roller furling hub to also assist in sitting the sail neater.
All good fun!
Martin
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
Return to “Technical”
Board indexAll times are UTCDelete cookiesContact us
webmasterphbb1
Site Admin

Kicker

Post by webmasterphbb1 »

Kicker
Post by martinhunt » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:47 pm

I am in the process of converting The Great Escape to slab reefing and wondered if anyone has any photos of how they have attached the kicker to the underside of the boom. Is there an off the shelf fitting I can buy or is it a case of fabricating one myself?
Vic
Re: Kicker
Post by Vic » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:45 pm

Sorry I do not have a photo but I used a "key-hole " type of kicking strap plate

Probably this one
https://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/holt-all ... gLYWvD_BwE

Should find them in ony half decent chandlery.

Use some Duralac when fitting to the boom
Last edited by Vic on Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vic
Brave Dragon

martinhunt
Re: Kicker
Post by martinhunt » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:25 pm

Thanks Vic, that looks ideal.
webmasterphbb1
Site Admin

Moulded Sink

Post by webmasterphbb1 »

moulded sink
Post by paulgemmell » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:03 am

Hi All,
I'm thinking of removing the moulded sink unit and surrounds.( no longer use the sink and the tabletops are just a mess)
I'm guessing that they form part of the structural support of the hull( and maybe side cabin walls) and therefor the removal of the whole unit would require some further structural support.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Paul Gemmell-Sable
jasonjoyce
Re: moulded sink
Post by jasonjoyce » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:07 pm

My tabletop and sink was removed by the previous owner, who replaced them with shuttering ply and stained it The original corner parts of the moulding were left and the ply screwed to those. It done the job, but couldve been much better.
A stainless round sink was added, but has no drainer. I use a bowl outside to wash up anyway.
If id have had the choice, id prefer to have left the originals in place and glassed them over if theyd looked that terrible or cracked?
All fixings i guess add structural strength. Just dont use shuttering ply toshed with cuprinol.. it looks worse than terrible haha
paulgemmell
Re: moulded sink
Post by paulgemmell » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:10 pm

Thanks for that, Jason
I think I might take the whole unit out and insert some kind of support to act as a brace across the hull.
I'll post some photos when done.
Cheers,
Paul
webmasterphbb1
Site Admin

Additional Ballast

Post by webmasterphbb1 »

Additional ballast??
Post by jasonjoyce » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:20 pm

Does anyone use additional ballast in their bilges? I have 30mt of 6mm chain in the focsle and 50lt water tank in what is I suppose, the locker meant for a Portaloo. I will soon be having a 130ah battery beneath the sink. Other than a seagull on the outboard bracket, I have no additional weight except for me (I sail singlehanded).
Trouble is, this yacht is fairly lively. It heels a fair bit to the side I stand on and it wafts and bounces around on the mooring while all the other boats are still.
To ballast, or not to ballast??
Vic
Re: Additional ballast??
Post by Vic » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:54 am

Hi Jason,

Your anchor chain is not vastly different in weight to the 90ft of 1/4" chain originally supplied , and specified for the boat to trim correctly.

The original water tanks were 11 gallon flexible tanks but fitted in the underberth locker forward of the toilet compartment. So near enough the same weight but slightly differently located. I replaced the original , poor, water tank after about 3 years with a good quality , but smaller, tank but I usually carried an extra 5 to 10 litres in containers in the cabin and another 10 litres in the cockpit locker

The original recommended location for the battery was in the under berth locker on the starboard side immediately forward of the main bulkhead
I think the largest battery which can be fitted there is probably 60 or 70Ah ( although a second one could be fitted on the port side I suppose) so your 130Ah battery will be somewhat heavier but further aft. ( With LEDs replacing filament bulbs do you really need 130Ah ?)

The outboards being supplied when I bought my boat were 5 hp Volvo Penta engines which, being air cooled, weighed only 19.5 kg. I believe 5 hp Mariners were later supplied. I guess these would have weighed around 26 kg. I subsequently bought a 6 hp Evinrude Yachtwin which weighs 27.4 kg.
I guess your Seagull is a Century, Silver Century or QB series engine weighing somewhere between 15kg for the Century model and 24.75 kg for a long shaft QB Kingfisher Model.
When I upgraded the engine I also changed the fuel tank to a 22 litre plastic tank.

It is a small fairly light boat so it is going to be fairly tender. I have not found that a particular problem but you do not say if your boat is a very early one or a Mk 2 with increased ballast. When actively sailing I guess I weighed somewhere between 80 and 85 kg.
Vic
Brave Dragon

jasonjoyce
Post by jasonjoyce » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:58 am

Hi vic
Thanks for the info. I have a water bag in the larger forward locker. It helps stability when it’s full, I do admit that. I have just cleared out a lot of expanding foam (4 bin bags plus a load of stagnant water trapped behind and within it) from the lockers just forward of of the bulkhead. It had a small (dead) battery to port and a big block of pig iron to starboard. I have taken chunks out of my hands digging it all out! Now im down to the basic boat.
I have chosen a large deep cycle battery as I’ve now installed an st1000 autopilot. I will solar charge it appropriately. All my lights are led, plus a fixed vhf and duo nasa depth/log.
I plan long haul passages once all is upto spec and proven.
I have 8x 16kg lead ingots that are small enough to slide under the cabin sole and between the forward lockers. I may try one at a time to get the balance between stability and speed?
I’m also go to add a post under the mast for my own peace of mind. I was out in 25knot winds last week and could see the strain on heavily reefed sails. I’m sure the roof was drooping too.
The interior is being kept bare.. no curtains, headlining, cushions or nik naks etc to hold the damp. Just a spirit stove and a light mattress to lie on. I carry a spares box and some basic tools.
I’m interested to know if anyone has put purpose ballast into the bilge?
I also wish to retain my title as the slowest boat in the estuary!
jasonjoyce
Post by jasonjoyce » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:02 pm

Sorry, forgot to say it looks like sail number sw239. I don’t know what year that could be from?
Vic
Post by Vic » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:15 pm

Sail number 239 would date it to around 1974 , give or take a year, I think. Well after the increase in ballast anyway.

I have no recollection of seeing anything about adding internal ballast.

There is some info on these forums , which a search will find, on adding a compression post, in particular some pictures , which by some miracle Photobucket still allows access to , in this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=365#p1091
Vic
Brave Dragon

paulgemmell
Post by paulgemmell » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:38 pm

Hi Jason,
I came across this the other day-check out image 7 of 9 https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-vehicle ... 1348155465 and there is more information in the description.
I like you have stripped everything out the boat and do find it a bit lively.
I'm hopping when I put all the gear back it it will stabilise the boat a bit more.
Cheers,
Paul
jasonjoyce
Post by jasonjoyce » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:16 pm

Hi Paul
I saw this ad a little while ago.. unfortunately I can’t bring up the photos. Perhaps because it’s ended?
Anyway, I’ve added 80kgs to the bilge spaces from the saloon step to the most forard locker. With the water tank full, it’s much more stable. Well, ive not dipped the toe rails since anyway!
I don’t think I’ll be adding anymore. I’ve added the weight of another adult and it seems to have done the trick.
My boat is virtually done now. I got a very poorly applied topcoat in the cockpit to try and remove without damaging the gel coat and she’s all done. Whoever applied it needs to be shot.. it’s shockingly brushed on, very patchy and a mare to remove. Luckily they must’ve run out. They must also have been colour-blind.
paulgemmell
Post by paulgemmell » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:21 am

Hi Jason,
Glad to here that the extra weight has helped stabilised your boat.
I'm also starting to upgrade sable-images https://4385002.tifmember.com/v/photos/69962hrm/sable
Did your boat have a wooden brace under the foredeck, held in place with about 16 bolts through the deck itself(see images)
I don't believe this to be structural or original (any one else got any clarity on this) just extra stability for the foredeck.
I've not removed the pulpit and forward deck fittings and in the process of drilling and filling all holes in the foredeck-more images to follow.
Are you taking the paint back to gelcoat to paint again?
I'm not quite sure what to do regarding this as the areas of gelcoat I have exposed are in poor condition.
Do you have any images of the work done so far.
Cheers,
Paul
jasonjoyce
Post by jasonjoyce » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:43 pm

Hi Paul
I looked through your pics and I’m stumped as to why the foredecks been braced the way it has? It’s defo not original in my opinion. Mine has no added support, only the original moulding. And I have no give in it while standing on it as I haul the anchor. I’d be concerned of leaks with so many bolts going through the deck. I used CT1 black on all deck fittings and mast step to keep out rain water and it worked lovely. I also improvised an old pot noodle pot to cover the chain pipe and not a single drop of spray nor rain has entered yet.a bungee keeps it in place. I should’ve taken pics as I’m quite proud of my genius idea. It also holds the flap up when feeding the chain back into the locker. The cabin inside was awful- remains of foam backing poorly glossed over. I spent 2 days with an angle grinder and twisted wire wheel to smooth out glass seams and spills and old foam. I then rollered it over with 2pack floor paint in ivory gloss. It looks brand new without lumps and bumps and will never flake. As for the cockpit, well I hope to get back to the original gelcoat then wet and dry sand it so it never has to be painted again.
I wish I’d done before and after pics after seeing yours.but I never bother at the time!
jasonjoyce
Post by jasonjoyce » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:12 am

As for your gel coat problem- I’ve just topcoated all the chequer mouldings on the topsides with grey grp roofing topcoat that I had left over from building an extension at home. I added 1 spoon of shot blast sand to one large Mac Donald’s coffee cup of topcoat to give a good non slip finish without being over or under gritted. It’s as good or better than grp flocoat. Maybe use ungritted white where original smooth gelcoat is damaged? I’ve been using grp roofing resin and topcoat on boats for a few years now and I prefer it as it’s more flexible and forgiving. It certainly doesn’t crack as easily as conventional grp. And it’s cheaper. It’s worth researching and considering.
paulgemmell
Post by paulgemmell » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:22 am

Hi Jason,
Thanks for the update. I agree, regarding the bracing.
I've now removed all the through deck fittings and bolts, drilled and filled these with epoxy filler and fibreglassed over anchor pipe(will rebel this elsewhere) and water access point-new images here-https://4385002.tifmember.com/v/photos/69962hrm/sable
Thanks for the tip regarding the topside mouldings.

Cheers,
Paul
jasonjoyce
Post by jasonjoyce » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:58 pm

I was thinking of moving the chain pipe too. Since I’ve been using the boat, I’ve had trouble with the chain building up on the inside hull when upping anchor. It gets so far then it’s difficult for it to feed itself down the pipe. It’s a bit of a pain with no one below to flake it in. The knots on the clew of the Genoa catching on the baby stays is the other problem.. No matter what knot I use, I’m poking it with a boat hook most times I tack.
I’m currently about to fit a diesel heater and that too is not as straight forward as it seems. I’ll start a new thread for this one..
Vic
Post by Vic » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:21 pm

I usually leave the chain on deck to drain for a few minutes after weighing anchor while I get underway then go forward when I have a little sea-room and patiently feed the chain down into the locker. A bit of a tedious chore when single handed but I don't think I have ever had any great difficulty. I assume you have the usual 1/4" chain.

I don't have forward lower shrouds ( which I assume is what you mean when you say "baby stays") but I know what you mean by knots catching on the standing rigging

Best idea is not to have knots in the genoa sheets.

Have the sheets in one long length. Stitch and whip a loop in the middle incorporating a short length of something smaller with a stopper knot in the end.
The loop goes through the clew cringle then the knotted end goes through the loop

BTW the stainless steel chain bollard on the deck in Paul Gemmells photos is back to front. Ir should be turned round so that the vertical face and rounded corners is aft and the sharp sloping edges don't cut into a warp coming over the bow roller or through the bow fairleads
Vic
Brave Dragon

jasonjoyce
Post by jasonjoyce » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:06 pm

I have wondered about the cleat.. mine also has the sharp side aft. I never turned it round even though I thought that it could chaff/cut rope if I was, say being towed? I left it believing it was standard.
Leaving chain on top to drain is a good idea.. can throw a bucket of water over it to wash some of the mud off. The deck is caked in Medway mud when I’m done. And plenty has gone down with the chain, I’m sure. I’ve not dared look recently.
I also had the upper shrouds forard, but after reading on here that with the original sss mast, the spreaders were swept back, with the lowers being forward. Either way, they love to grab the sheets!
Have you ever fitted a diesel heater on a yacht? I stay on mine a few nights a week so thought I’d upgrade the hot water bottle. It’s going either in the cockpit locker, or back of the pilot berth? I’ve done so much research and googling that my mind is now boggled to orientation of the unit. All I know is, it will be exhausted out through the transom.
webmasterphbb1
Site Admin

Roller Jib/Genoa

Post by webmasterphbb1 »

Roller Jib/Genoa
Post by glynwilliams » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:15 pm

Hello All,
I know some of you will laugh at me but
as an elderly novice I can only make haste slowly,so here goes,
I am fitting the Jib/Genoa back on" Wychway To "and fed the sail
into the groove and hoisted away,so far so good.
When the sail appeared to be hoisted at the foot
I discovered a D Shackle attached to the eyelet on the sail and a
stainless strop of about 15 inches attached to the shackle .
I thought you just tied off the sail to a fitting on the revolving drum.
What have I done wrong?

Please can you help
Glyn
Vic
Re: Roller Jib/Genoa
Post by Vic » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:01 pm

glynwilliams wrote: ↑Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:15 pm
Hello All,
I know some of you will laugh at me but
as an elderly novice I can only make haste slowly,so here goes,
I am fitting the Jib/Genoa back on" Wychway To "and fed the sail
into the groove and hoisted away,so far so good.
When the sail appeared to be hoisted at the foot
I discovered a D Shackle attached to the eyelet on the sail and a
stainless strop of about 15 inches attached to the shackle .
I thought you just tied off the sail to a fitting on the revolving drum.
What have I done wrong?

Please can you help
Glyn
That's how mine is . It was supplied with about 2m of 4mm cordage cow hitched to the tack cringle
I hoist the sail fully then tension the luff using this "piece of string" threaded through the loop on the top of the drum several times . Finally securing with a few half hitches

Similar bit of string on the mainsail clew
Vic
Brave Dragon

glynwilliams
Re: Roller Jib/Genoa
Post by glynwilliams » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:30 pm

Hello Vic,
I think after your kind words,the stainless effort is
a red herring and I will consign it to my spares locker.
I was expecting exactly what you showed me.
Its a great help bring able to ask, so again, thank you
Glyn
webmasterphbb1
Site Admin

Slugs

Post by webmasterphbb1 »

Slugs
Post by paulhart » Fri May 17, 2019 1:23 pm

Hi .We have a mk 1 that we sail regularly at Carsington Water. Minstrel is my first go at cruising boat ownership (I have a wanderer dinghy at the same location) and we have only been sailing for about 18 months. I have past retirement age though still working and really fancied sailing as a retirement hobby.It was a good move. I love to sail and I love to learn. Now to the point. We have two mainsails. 1 is a really nice one in good condition . It has a bead sewn in so threads easily .the other is a bit grotty but has reeling points. It is a hank on sail so we duly bought the hanks, fitted them to the sail , easy peasey . Yesterday the wind was quite strong for us novices so we decided to put the old sail up with a reef in. The fore sail has roller reeling so no problem. The "slugs" are really tight in the mast. We just managed to get enough sail up but they are obviously too thick for the slot. They are nylon T shaped held to the sail by plastic snap together clips. Are there a variety of sizes.Is there a better way? Any guidance appreciated. I am a hands on maintenance engineer and I could reduce the thickness of the "neck" I know but off the shelf would make more sense.
Vic
Re: Slugs
Post by Vic » Fri May 17, 2019 3:09 pm

There are a variety of types and sizes. You should be able to find suitable slugs or sliders from the Allen range. Google should find other brands if necessary
https://www.allenbrothers.co.uk/range/? ... v4ij25e02s

My mainsail has a boltrope, although the mast track is I am sure probably more suited to a sail with slugs. I have converted it to slab reefing although I keep the old roller reefing system operational in case I should need it at any time
Vic
Brave Dragon

paulhart
Re: Slugs
Post by paulhart » Sun May 19, 2019 5:40 pm

Thanks for that Vic. A158s do the job perfectly.
webmasterphbb1
Site Admin

Red Seawych Sail Maintenance

Post by webmasterphbb1 »

Red Seawych sail maintenance
Post by paulaston » Sat May 11, 2019 8:51 am

Hi All,

My Seawych 19, The Great Escape, has red sails that are in reasonable condition, but that are a little faded, particularly the jib, where it is exposed when furled.

Can anyone suggest a good way of cleaning the sails and restoring the colour please? Are there any products that anyone can recommend please that can help restore the colour and provide future protection?

Thanks.

Paul.
Vic
Re: Red Seawych sail maintenance
Post by Vic » Sat May 11, 2019 10:06 am

Your headsail should be protected by a sacrificial UV strip

I suspect it will be difficult if not impossible to effectively restore colour to polyester sail cloth but see what replies I get to my query here http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.ph ... ost6783842

Gentle washing with a mild detrgent on a clean flat surface is probaably the way to DIY cleaning,

Other wise try yournearest sailmaker... they usually send sails away for cleaning to a specialist sail laundry
Vic
Brave Dragon

paulaston
Re: Red Seawych sail maintenance
Post by paulaston » Sat May 11, 2019 11:50 pm

Thanks Vic
webmasterphbb1
Site Admin

Sails

Post by webmasterphbb1 »

Sails
Post by glynwilliams » Sat May 11, 2019 9:22 am

IMG-20190502-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20190502-WA0000.jpg (137.49 KiB) Viewed 27 times
Hello,
I am making progress "Wychway To" has now been launched,
mast stepped,standing rigging checked.New electrics fitted
I have had to have new UV strips fitted and other
remedial work done to the main and the gjib a first class
and economic job done by Lonton and Gray in Burnham on Crouch
but I am now ready to fit the sails,weather permitting.
Can I ask is there any potential problems,pitfalls to avoid or little
tips and hints that will make my life easier.I will have to do this on my own,
so if there is any knowledge out there please share it with an elderly novice.
I have tried to attach a picture,she is a good looking craft
regards
Glyn
"Wychway To"
Vic
Re: Sails
Post by Vic » Sat May 11, 2019 7:13 pm

I cannot think of any problems or pitfalls , but it's a long time since I hoisted my sails for the first time.

I trust you made sure all the halyard sheaves rotated freely before you stepped the mast
You may find McLube SailKote or a ptfe spray from Toolstation etc on the luffs and mainsail foot will assist.

Good luck
Vic
Brave Dragon

webmasterphbb1
Site Admin

Best below waterline paint for SeaWych19

Post by webmasterphbb1 »

Best below waterline paint for SeaWych19
Post by paulaston » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:12 am

Hi All,

I need to paint below the waterline on my recently acquired SeaWych 19, The Great Escape.

The previous owner advises me that, "All antifoul has been removed to gel coat& 3 coats of Flag Primer applied".

This is a topic I have no experience of. My initial assumption is that I don't need antifoul paint because, other than a few weeks here and there, she will be stored out of the water on the trailer, so I have started looking primarily for some sort of high gloss hard wearing white marine top coat paint that states it is for use below the waterline.

But I have started to research this and there are a bewildering range of paints out there. In addition, I'm not sure if the stage of preparation that my boat has already means that I have to follow one course of action or another.

So any guidance from the members of the forum as to what to do next, what products to consider and where to source them from would be most welcome please.

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul.
Last edited by paulaston on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vic
Re: Best below waterline paint for SeaWych19 trailer stored
Post by Vic » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:51 pm

Presumably that is Flag grey multipurpose metallic primer and you now what to paint it for cosmetic reasons

It is intended as a tie coat or a barrier coat before applying an antifouling paint.

I think I might apply a single generous coat of a hard type of antifouling such as Interspeed

See what suggestions turn up here http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.ph ... ost5756903
Vic
Brave Dragon

paulaston
Post by paulaston » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:22 am

Hi Vic,

Thanks for that and for posting this on ybw.

I have emailed the previous owner to ask what sort of flag primer he used, but I think you are right, it is most likely to be flag grey multipurpose metallic primer.

So Im going to go for white International Interspeed Ultra 2, which sounds like it should be a good solution for all purposes!

Thanks,

Paul.
paulaston
Post by paulaston » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:21 pm

Two coats of Dover White International Interspeed Ultra 2 applied over the weekend and it's looking good :D
paulaston
Post by paulaston » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:33 am

Hi All. Time to apply another coat or two of antifoul to The Great Escape, which will be on a swinging mooring on Windermere from early April to late October or early November. But unfortunately i have run out of the International Interspeed Ultra 2 that I have used for the last 3 years and it has been retired and is no longer available. The International website advises me to contact their help line to identify a suitable replacement, so I will call them tomorrow. But I’d welcome any guidance from this forum please. Thanks.
Vic
Re: Best below waterline paint for SeaWych19
Post by Vic » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:27 am

Hi

The International range has almost completely changed.
I dont know why you choose Interspeed ultra 2 . It is a hard antifouling suitable for powerboats and fast yachts or when a boat is kept in deep mud which will tend to remove a soft type. I have used it, or its predecessors, for the latter reason but the downside is that over the years it builds up in thickness year on year until eventually it begins to flake off.

The replacement seems to be Ultra 300 if you want to continue using a hard type but I see no reason for you to choose a hard type

Otherwise the choice is:
Boatguard 100, a low cost antifouling , suited to low to medium fouling areas.
Cruiser 250 , but which is not suitable for very high fouling areas.
Micron 300 suitable for all areas , but is only available in dark grey.
Micron 350, not avaialble in white.
Micron 350W White only.
It should be possible to apply any of the above directly to Interspeed Ultra 2 after scrubbing clean.
See https://international-yachtpaint.com/en ... compatible

It will be interesting to hear what International suggest but it is always a good idea to find out which antifouling is most used locally
Vic
Brave Dragon

paulaston
Post by paulaston » Sat May 11, 2019 8:44 am

Hi Vic.

Thanks for your reply back in March - I’ve been meaning to report back on the results of my call with International.

I previously chose Interspeed Ultra II following the earlier part of this thread back in 2016. At the time my boat was trailer stored and sailed for a few weeks per year, so the advice at the time was “a hard type of antifouling such as Interspeed”, hence my choice at that time. I now have a permanent mooring on Windermere that I use for the season and hence the requirement has changed.

I called International and they recommended Primacon to touch up the small number of flaking areas and they advised that any of a selection of International antifoul paints that are available in Dover would be suitable, including Ultra 300 or Cruiser 250, which they said can be applied over the Primacon or the Interspeed Ultra II and will be compatible.

Having had confirmation that the new antifoul paints are compatible, I was then able to consider using what I had left in the end of a tin of Interspeed Ultra 2 from last year, in the knowledge that I would be able to paint over it with the newer paints. So before ordering any more antifoul, I used that left over Ultra II over the Primacon in the small number of areas I had touched up. I then worked out that I just had enough left still for one full coat of Interspeed Ultra II over the whole hull.

So a cheap solution using up what I had left from last year. The result looks good and it will be fine for this season.

Thanks.

Paul.
Vic
Post by Vic » Sat May 11, 2019 10:38 am

Thanks for the feed back